Pink Mold Is it Dangerous? (October 2022) Guide

While not all mold poses danger, its presence of it is not a good idea. If you’ve noticed a pinkish-colored fungus that has appeared in any part of the house, then your health may be in danger. It is essential to eliminate the mold as fast as you can, however, you’ll require more than water and soap to get the job done.

How Does Pink Mold Form

“Pink mold” or “pink mold” refers to a variety of slimy substances that you could encounter in the dark, damp areas of your house. One of the most popular is Serratia marcescens (S. marcescens) which appears like mold, however, it is a bacterium.

It can range from pink to pinkish orange as well as orange. typically develops on damp kitchen, bathroom and laundry room surfaces that consume the fat and phosphorus that are in soap scum. Shower tile grout and water lines leading to the toilet and sink are among its most preferred areas, however it also loves the sinks, toilets and bowls. Particularly in bathrooms that are damp it might appear on the walls and floors, as well as inside the cabinets.

Aureobasidium pullulans (A. pullulans) is a common pink mold that is also common. The fungus begins as with light pink, white or yellow, and then ages to dark brown, with a gray-edge. Similar to S. marcescens which is a bathroom fungus, this one prefers bathrooms however it is more likely to grow on organic materials like houseplants, damp wooden windows, and linseed oil paint.

A third mold that is pink, Fusarium is one that is least likely to develop in the home. If it does appear, it generally occurs first on the houseplants and then it moves onto carpet or wallpaper.

The Health Risks You Face

Although no kind of pink mold poses an immediate grave threat to your health in the same way that black mold can but pink molds are still able to cause harm to you. Mold that is present in your home can cause urinary and respiratory tract infections, digestive problems and heart-related issues. People suffering from respiratory ailments like asthma, those who are elderly, children, or pets have a greater risk of developing health issues.

Also Read:  9 Best Cordless Hammer Drills (October 2022)

For those who are healthy, S. marcescens is mostly non-infectious. Although it may cause infections of the respiratory tract, eye and urinary tract, the majority of these infections occur in hospital settings for those who are already suffering from poor health.

There’s some chance that S. marcescens that is growing in your bathroom can get inside damaged skin and leave you with a wound that’s infected. S. marcescens has been found to thrive on contact lenses and trigger eye infections this in a similar way. If you wear contact lenses make sure you don’t keep them in a place that is contaminated with pink mold. Also, take steps to eliminate the pink mold from your home as soon as possible.

The. pulledulans has a higher chance to cause issue if you’re exposed to it for the long-term. It’s most often seen in humidifiers. It then circulates throughout the home, meaning it could be floating around for weeks before anyone is aware. The exposure to this mold could cause hypersensitivity pneumonitis often referred to “humidifier lung” which can cause coughing or breathing difficulty, as well as fever.

If you’re healthy with an immune system, then fusarium is not likely to cause harm unless it is absorbed into your food. There’s a chance of eye and nail infections However, for those with impaired immune systems, it can trigger a potentially life-threatening infection.

Removal of Pink Mold

If you’re in good health and have just a tiny amount of pink mold within an easy-to-access area then you could do the job of removing it yourself. In other instances, it’s best to get a professional’s help, like the following situations:

  • If you suffer from a respiratory problem like asthma
  • The mold is able to cover an area greater that 3 square. ft.,
  • The mold is located in your heating and ventilating (HVAC) the ducts,
  • The mold erupted after the leak of sewage.
Also Read:  New Carpet Smell Is it Safe? (October 2022) Guide

If you experience any of these situations it is recommended to contact a licensed mold remediation expert. The removal of mold from your HVAC ducts is about finding out the source of the mold, therefore you’ll need to talk with an HVAC expert.

If you decide to eliminate the mold on your own, put on goggles, gloves along with an N-95 particulate respirator mask to avoid the eye, skin and lung irritations that mold may cause. Soap and water by themselves won’t destroy mold, but most household cleaners will. You can eliminate pink mold using three easy steps.

First, vacuum Vacuum as much dust as possible using the use of a vacuum cleaner with an HEPA filter. This reduces the amount of mold spores will be released into the air when you’re cleaning.

Choose the cleaner you prefer Bleach is effective in killing almost all kinds of mold. Utilize 1.5 Cups of bleach per 1 gallon water (around 1 part bleach for 10 percent water). Other options for eliminating mold include 1 cup of borax (sodium borate) in 1 gallon of water undiluted vinegar as well as 3 percent hydrogen peroxide. Utilize these cleaners separately to prevent harmful chemical reactions.

Clean your mold – Pour the chosen cleanser into a bottle, and spray it all over the growth of mold. If you don’t own bottles, put the mixture into an empty bucket, and apply it using the help of a cleaning cloth, sponge or even a scrub brush. It should rest for at least one hour. Use the sponge or brush for a gentle scrub to get the area. Then, clean the surface with clean water.

While mold-fighting biocides are readily available, they’re not suggested for use indoors in your home. Biocides that are strong enough to kill mold spores may be harmful to your health when used in an enclosed space.

Also Read:  Are Freon Leaks in Your Home Dangerous? (October 2022) Guide

If you want to keep mold from returning you can apply a light coat of vinegar over the area you’d like to shield and allow it to dry. Repeat the process every month or so. The process of cleaning your tile floors and showers with vinegar is also a good idea. Test the patch first however, to make sure that the vinegar doesn’t cause discoloration.

Finding pink mold in your home isn’t a cause for concern however it’s important not to avoid. The exposure to mold could cause skin and lung irritations and is even more risky for those suffering from respiratory issues or a an immune system that is weak.

If the mold isn’t spreading much it is possible to eliminate it fast using borax, bleach, and hydrogen peroxide. If you have a major problem with mold, however, you should leave the cleaning to an expert in mold remediation.

We will be happy to hear your thoughts

Leave a reply

×
NRX Guide
Logo
Enable registration in settings - general